Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Defensive player of the year (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=96531)

jim brown 02-15-2013 01:01 PM

Defensive player of the year

Why is it that when a player gets "Defensive player of the year" the next year they stink, they are traded, or they get a whole lot of money and all of a sudden they are injured!!!!! Take a look at the last few years!

StainlessStill 02-15-2013 01:20 PM

Re: Defensive player of the year

Football. It's a week to week business.

harrison'samonster 02-15-2013 01:22 PM

The only thing I can say is that playing at such a high level has to be so physically draining. It reminds me in a way of the Madden cover curse.

austinfrench76 02-15-2013 01:23 PM

I think it also raises the expectation so they TRY harder and hence diminshed play. Just my thought.

WVABE 02-15-2013 02:42 PM

I've seen tons of players like that over the years. They have one hell of a season then make that real paycheck and cop out along the way. I guess a fat wallet steals their hearts from the game.

teegre 02-15-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WVABE (Post 1085598)
I've seen tons of players like that over the years. They have one hell of a season then make that real paycheck and cop out along the way. I guess a fat wallet steals their hearts from the game.

I don't think that Troy's wallet injured his calf. Nor did money make James Harrison's knee swell nor make Terrell Suggs's Achilles' tendon rupture.

I think it's the style of play.

SteelersCanada 02-15-2013 03:16 PM

It's like the Madden curse.

nick5574 02-15-2013 04:06 PM

I think that as with any profession or talent it is always difficult to follow up something outstanding with more of the same. Since they are the best defensive player in the league all eyes are on them the next season so any drop is a huge deal. Injuries to these players could always just be unfortunate coincidences. Hundreds of players get hurt every year and it could be anyone, MVP, DPOY, or some 2nd string punter... no one can know for sure until it happens.

WVABE 02-15-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teegre (Post 1085600)
I don't think that Troy's wallet injured his calf. Nor did money make James Harrison's knee swell nor make Terrell Suggs's Achilles' tendon rupture.

I think it's the style of play.

Not talking about any specific player just many players over the years throughout the league.

Fat Albert always comes to my mind first though.

mikegrimey 02-15-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WVABE (Post 1085617)
Not talking about any specific player just many players over the years throughout the league.

Fat Albert always comes to my mind first though.

Haynesworth is in a league of one when it came to being an ass. He always underachieved until he played for a contract, the smart bet was on him losing effort after getting paid. I think Harrison, Revis, Polamalu and Suggs all have shown a lot more effort than him. Sure Revis is a bit of a malcontent when it comes to holding out but he's not a bum on the field like Haynesworth was