Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Locker Room (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   States consider drug testing welfare recipients (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=99060)

MasterOfPuppets 07-02-2013 05:59 PM

States consider drug testing welfare recipients

personally i'm all for this. i've had to take quite a few drug tests over the years in order to keep my pay check coming, military personnel are subjected to random drug tests , so why should people getting freebies not be subjected to the same standard ?
the government acts like they wanna stamp out the drug problems in this country , but yet they enable drug users by giving them money and food and zero incentive to ever actually look for a job.
i personally know several welfare druggies, a few were my classmates. they still live in the very same government housing and collect a welfare check and have an independence card. once they spend the cash , they sell their independence card balance for 50 cents on a dollar to get more cash for the life long party. these guys are 45 years old and never had a real taxpaying job in their lives !!!
the shit needs to end !!!

Quote:

Getting welfare and food stamps may become tougher as 23 states around the USA seek to adopt stricter laws that would require public aid recipients to take drug tests.
Florida law now requires all aid applicants to be drug tested while Arizona and Missouri require testing for anyone they "reasonably" suspect of illegal drug use.
For many, the proposed changes in states such as Wyoming, Illinois and Maryland will mean taking extra steps before receiving aid, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. Resistance is likely to be heated, and the American Civil Liberties Union has already filed a challenge in Florida.
In Colorado, state Rep. Jerry Sonnenberg is sponsoring a bill that would require applicants for his state's Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program to pay for and pass a drug test before getting government help.
"If you have enough money to be able to buy drugs, then you don't need the public assistance," he said. "I don't want tax dollars spent on drugs."
Those who pass would be reimbursed for the test, which costs between $8 and $12, while those who fail would have to get clean and reapply, Sonnenberg said.
Sponsors and supporters of many drug testing bills say the rules are intended to help people stay healthy, avoid substance abuse problems and eliminate fraud.
Opposition has already begun. In Florida, the ACLU is challenging a law passed last year that requires drug testing of welfare recipients. Jason Williamson, an attorney in the organization's Criminal Law Reform Project, said the ACLU is "against any kind of suspicionless drug testing of any population."
He says such laws unfairly stigmatize people receiving public assistance and could lead governments down a "slippery slope" where other recipients of government dollars such as college students, veterans and contractors could be subject to drug testing or other screening.
He added that the proposed laws inaccurately suggest that people on welfare use drugs more than others.
"This exemplifies the extent to which folks are willing to scapegoat poor people when it suits political interests," Williamson said. "Subjecting people who are receiving public benefits to government intrusion, and the singling out of poor people in this country under the guise of saving money is worrisome to us."
Across the nation, lawmakers have proposed legislation to implement asset limits for food-stamp recipients, longer waiting periods for welfare benefits and mandatory substance abuse counseling for people receiving housing assistance.
Other ways welfare rules may change:
•At least 10 states are considering bills that would require photo identification for food stamps or electronic benefit cards.
•At least two states — Ohio and Tennessee — are considering restricting or eliminating eligibility for those convicted of drug felonies.
•At least two states —North Carolina and New Jersey— are considering requiring people to perform community service to receive government help.

Fire Haley 07-02-2013 06:07 PM

Re: States consider drug testing welfare recipients

BWAhahahahahahah!

all the Little Eichmanns here will give the Obama Nazi salute to this real soon!

I guarantee it!

hahahhahahaha

vasteeler 07-02-2013 06:09 PM

should of happened a long time ago. if i have to be drug tested to make them money then they should be tested to spend the money i made

MasterOfPuppets 07-02-2013 06:12 PM

ANYONE who receives a government check should be subjected to random drug testing. including politicians.

MasterOfPuppets 07-02-2013 06:20 PM

i'd also like to see a list drawn up on what they can and can't buy with an indepence card... no soda ,no high end seafoods or steaks , limited junk foods, etc

nothing pisses me off more than being behind someone with a cart full of NY strips, shrimp , etc ...and then they whip out an independence card
i look down at my cart full of fish sticks macaroni and cheese , hamburger helper , and it just really pisses me off ....:mad:

vasteeler 07-02-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets (Post 1138979)
i'd also like to see a list drawn up on what they can and can't buy with an indepence card... no soda ,no high end seafoods or steaks , limited junk foods, etc

nothing pisses me off more than being behind someone with a cart full of NY strips, shrimp , etc ...and then they whip out an independence card
i look down at my cart full of fish sticks macaroni and cheese , hamburger helper , and it just really pisses me off ....:mad:

not to mention the designer clothing, fresh nail job and and a $100 haircut

MACH1 07-02-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets (Post 1138979)

I was in line at winco behind a lady with a cart full and I mean full of wine bottles and she pulls out her food card to pay for it. :banging:

MasterOfPuppets 07-02-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MACH1 (Post 1138981)
I was in line at winco behind a lady with a cart full and I mean full of wine bottles and she pulls out her food card to pay for it. :banging:

it's insane ain't it ?
personally i think they should set up "government markets" , and thats the ONLY place those government cards should work. economically it would make sense because they'd be cutting out the middleman (the super market / grocery store) and avoiding their significant mark up. the gov can buy directly from the whole salers which would lower cost , so they could lower the amounts handed out on the cards.
plus they can decide on what foods they think are a necessary.
welfare is supposed to just be a crutch till you get back on your feet , not a life style.
it needs to be reformed so its not so attractive of a lifestyle that people want to live it long term.

fer522 07-02-2013 06:45 PM

Not to mention the cars a lot of them drive :banging:

MasterOfPuppets 07-02-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fer522 (Post 1138986)
Not to mention the cars a lot of them drive :banging:

ahhh don't even get me started on that. just the other week me and my nephew drove by own of the housing projects. i asked him if he noticed anything unusual. he said no. i said look at the cars... notice how everyone of them is nicer than the one your sitting in.
there's something wrong when people with no jobs and living in government paid housing is driving a nicer car than a guy who has worked steadily for 25 years. :banging:

the housing projects in my city are known for their drug activity , which is one more reason why i think drug testing is a great idea. within the first week of announcing drug test , 3/4 of the units would probably be vacated.