Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   [Article] From Bell curves to Le'veon Bell : A reason to have faith in the steelers draft (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=99136)

Steelstoned1972 07-08-2013 07:43 PM

From Bell curves to Le'veon Bell : A reason to have faith in the steelers draft

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...istory-results

More statistical support to show that we do draft damn well .....except for 2008 that is.

very interesting but also very technical article . So for those of you in Steeler Nation who think we are one of the best Teams when it comes to drafting , here is your link to empirical proof. Pass it along to the haters and naysayers ! :tt03:

I personally believe , its not just drafting that we excel but pure evaluation of talent whether its an undrafted free agent or a free agent signing . We find players that fit. ( Farrior , Ryan clark - great under the radar signings that fit our scheme and our cap . Then of course the rookie free agents Willie parker , James Harrison , Wil Johnson , etc etc ) While other teams toss big money into fa signings and usually lose (Redskins come to mind recently ) The Steelers quietly sign key players that help form a winning team , the bulk of the star power is the draft but we are just as adept in our free agent dealings . Just a lil more non -real football news to discuss, dissect and , disagree upon! :drink:

Fire Arians 07-08-2013 07:51 PM

Re: From Bell curves to Le'veon Bell : A reason to have faith in the steelers draft

I have high hopes for Bell, he has a great all-around skillset and can be a 3-down back.

For the people who say he's another redman/dwyer, they are totally wrong and never seen the guy play. he may have no impressive straight-line speed but the guy is quick as hell for someone his size, he's got the kind of quickness that dwyer or red can only dream of having. he can run through you, or make you miss. jerome bettis anyone (maybe)?

teegre 07-08-2013 07:54 PM

Re: From Bell curves to Le'veon Bell : A reason to have faith in the steelers draft

If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times: pass-catching.

Bettis... Dwyer... Redman... Turner... no, no, no, & no.

He's more Larry Centers (who can run).

Fire Arians 07-08-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teegre (Post 1140790)

centers was a beast, i wouldn't mind if he becomes that kind of player (but a better rusher i agree).

Steelstoned1972 07-08-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Arians (Post 1140787)
I have high hopes for Bell, he has a great all-around skillset and can be a 3-down back.

For the people who say he's another redman/dwyer, they are totally wrong and never seen the guy play. he may have no impressive straight-line speed but the guy is quick as hell for someone his size, he's got the kind of quickness that dwyer or red can only dream of having. he can run through you, or make you miss. jerome bettis anyone (maybe)?

I agree FireArians . He may not burn in the 40 yard . But he more than makes up for it in short area quickness. He had the best 3 cone drill time of all running backs at the combine . He weighed 230 most of the others were sub 200 lbs. That's huge. His size with that quickness bodes well for translation to the nfl game. compare his three cone drill with active nfl running backs . hes right in the mix with Arian foster , ray rice and other top backs. There was a link for that I read somewhere I believe. Anyhow big back with great short area quickness can kill and frustrate defenses especially as the day wears on the defenses. :drink:

FrancoLambert 07-08-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teegre (Post 1140790)

And I don't think any of these RB's could pull the move we see in 5-O's sig.

teegre 07-08-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrancoLambert (Post 1140845)
And I don't think any of these RB's could pull the move we see in 5-O's sig.

Excellent point.

Steel_Bus_24 07-09-2013 06:35 AM

So glad we got this dude....him and Knile Davis were my RB Draft crushes

Now lets keep that OL healthy

GMU Steeler 07-09-2013 01:38 PM

I can't wait to see him in action. Guy seems like a great kid and fit for our offense. A lot of people said we should have got Lacy but Bell was I think equally productive when you look at the fact that he ran and ran well behind sub-standard line at MSU. I also like the fact that given that he played for MSU and from Ohio he's no doubt used to cold weather..

LVSteelersfan 07-10-2013 07:51 PM

Unfortunately I don't have time to follow college football so I don't know much about the rookies. But from the Youtube stuff I saw on him, I am excited to watch him play in the black and gold. I am also excited about Wheaton. I think he was a great pick up for us. Jarvis Jones should be the next great Steeler LB.