Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Another Steelers fan from England (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=99171)

Oxton Steeler 07-11-2013 09:09 AM

Another Steelers fan from England

I`ve been a Steelers fan since the Eighties when I met a guy at school from the Steel City who`s father was on temporary transfer from Pittsburgh to a local company. I had no knowledge of football at all at that stage but my new found friend got me interested and his love of the Steelers kind of rubbed off on me. He moved on and we lost touch but my support of the Steelers has remained with me especially when the TV here started showing the sport on a regular basis.

A few years ago I actually managed to rise enough cash to visit Pittsburgh for the first game of the season against the Texans and I fell in love with both the city itself and it`s extremely friendly people and I`m hoping to make another pilgrimage there in 2014 but meanwhile I`m greatly looking forward, like many other UK based Steeler fans, to seeing the Black and Gold playing at Wembley in September :tt:

MACH1 07-11-2013 10:24 AM

Re: Another Steelers fan from England

Welcome and enjoy. Any questions just ask.

Galax Steeler 07-12-2013 04:00 AM

Welcome to the board

harrison'samonster 07-12-2013 05:46 AM

welcome to the board!

Oxton Steeler 07-12-2013 06:22 AM

Cheers chaps :hatsoff:

Bayz101 07-12-2013 06:33 AM

Welcome to the forum, Oxton!

Carolina Steelers 07-12-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxton Steeler (Post 1142173)
I`ve been a Steelers fan since the Eighties when I met a guy at school from the Steel City who`s father was on temporary transfer from Pittsburgh to a local company. I had no knowledge of football at all at that stage but my new found friend got me interested and his love of the Steelers kind of rubbed off on me. He moved on and we lost touch but my support of the Steelers has remained with me especially when the TV here started showing the sport on a regular basis.

A few years ago I actually managed to rise enough cash to visit Pittsburgh for the first game of the season against the Texans and I fell in love with both the city itself and it`s extremely friendly people and I`m hoping to make another pilgrimage there in 2014 but meanwhile I`m greatly looking forward, like many other UK based Steeler fans, to seeing the Black and Gold playing at Wembley in September :tt:

Welcome!!!!! my 1st game was also that game vs texans I believe 2008

Fire Arians 07-12-2013 01:36 PM

welcome :)

always awesome to hear we got fans in europe as well. how much is american football catching on there?

Oxton Steeler 07-12-2013 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Arians (Post 1142663)
welcome :)

always awesome to hear we got fans in europe as well. how much is american football catching on there?

I wouldn't say it's catching on. There's been a loyal fan base here since the TV coverage started in the Eighties. Around a million
watched the Superbowl this year for example (not me I must point out. No way am I going to stay up until 3 in the morning watching the Ratbirds). Both the Wembley games sold out within weeks ( in the case of the Steelers game within a few days) of the tickets going in general sale. You certainly see quite a few jerseys about around town centres although many of those are, sadly, Pats ( probably because they are New ENGLAND) and Dolphins ( all those vacations in Florida are responsible for those I guess). I do know there is also a lot of interest in both Holland and especially Germany as well as in the UK.

MACH1 07-13-2013 01:11 AM

Quote:

No way am I going to stay up until 3 in the morning watching the Ratbirds
spoken like a true fan.