Steelers Fever Forums

Steelers Fever Forums (http://forums.steelersfever.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Steelers (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Ask the Steelers: Fred Gibson, Part I & II (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=995)

BlitzburghRockCity 06-20-2005 11:29 PM

Ask the Steelers: Fred Gibson, Part I & II

FRED GIBSON ? PART 1

What was your first Steelers practice like for you when you came in for mini-camp?

It was overwhelming. You had so much stuff that you were thinking about. Basically the playbook, the first day I saw the playbook and tried to come out here and jump into the fire, my head was just spinning. Now I have a better understanding of the playbook.

How much do you think you will benefit from the team?s off-season program, getting a chance to learn things before training camp arrives?

It helps you a lot. It helps you understand. The whole playbook is schemed. If you don?t know the playbook, you aren?t going to play. You need the most coaching that is possible.

How have the veterans been with you so far? Do they welcome you and offer you advise? Has any one guy been particularly helpful and how so?

Antwaan Randle El and Hines Ward are great people. In mini-camp I was complaining to them telling them, I was like there is a lot in this playbook. They said to me to take my time, it?s going to come. Everybody understands. It?s like being a freshman all over again. Every little thing that comes up that I have to ask somebody something I go to El or to Hines and they tell me what I want to hear.

Is it good to have veterans like Hines Ward and Antwaan Randle El to learn from?

It is great. I watch them running their routes. They run some great routes. It?s a whole new learning thing for me. I?m coming to the NFL. I was just in college. Looking at Hines and Randle El they have been here four and six years and that?s a long time. Why not look up to them. They are great leaders.

From what you are hearing, what do you think will be the biggest adjust to the NFL for you?

I really don?t know. I think just understanding the coverages. There are so many schemes with the defenses and different teams have different schemes. They throw so much stuff at you. You just have to feel comfortable and get adjusted to the NFL. You just have to keep an open mind and go out there and do what you do best and that?s play football.

Team Pass Members can access the remainder of the Ask the Steelers answers and see video of the entire interview by logging on to Team Pass.

If you are not a Team Pass Member you can sign up today and have access to all of the Ask The Steelers features we will be bringing you and much more.

Part II

Is it hard to go from being ?the guy? in college to being a rookie and basically starting all over again?

It is starting over again like a freshman in college. I remember my freshman year I had the toughest time understanding things and adjusting to the college level. Now it?s the NFL level. It?s a new beginning.

Did you have a favorite NFL team growing up or a player that you liked to watch?

Not really. I wasn?t into the NFL thing. I loved college. I used to love the Florida Gators because Coach Spurrier used to throw the football all of the time.

Did you ever think a Florida Gators fan would end up going to Georgia?
I never thought. I never thought in a million years I would be in the NFL. It?s a privilege and an honor to be here. I worked so hard to get where I am. Most people would love to be in my shoes. It?s all about working hard and doing what you have to do and staying out of trouble. Anybody can do it.

Do you enjoy any sports other than football?

I love basketball. I played at Georgia. I have a whole lot of friends in the NBA who I played with and I love watching them.

Have you heard the type of football city that Pittsburgh is and does that excite you to be a part of that?

They have a good fan base and are crazy about their Steelers. As long as they are crazy about their Steelers it will be a fun time here.

clevestinks 06-23-2005 06:23 PM

Re: Ask the Steelers: Fred Gibson, Part I & II

Fred Gibson!
They have a good fan base and are crazy about their Steelers. As long as they are crazy about their Steelers it will be a fun time here.

Amen!

BlitzburghRockCity 06-24-2005 11:02 PM

Re: Ask the Steelers: Fred Gibson, Part I & II

He's got nothing to worry.. we were crazy about our Steelers in the 80's when we didnt do squat year in and year out..and we're still crazy about them now.