View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,351 Times in 3,532 Posts
Default Re: DeCastro NOT worth a 1st round pick

some interesting notes in kirwans mock. while he doesnt think the guards are that valuable (1st round) in this years draft, he does know the situation and is tune with how alot of teams think (keep in mind, this is from last week)-

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/f...raft-PatKirwan

Quote:
It may feel like this is an AFC North draft because those teams have six picks in the first round.

There's lots of talk of a guard (Stanford's David DeCastro) and a center (Wisconsin's Peter Konz) going high in the first round. There have been six centers taken in the first round since 2000 and they average going at No. 24. Since 2000 there have been two true guards taken in the first round and you have to go all the way back to 1997 to find a top 10 guard.

21. Cincinnati Bengals
David DeCastro, OG, Stanford: It is early to take a guard but if the Bengals want to protect Andy Dalton and run the ball better this is a wise choice.

22. Cleveland Browns (from Atlanta)
Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State: I thought Adams struggled on the left side in pass-rush situations at the Senior Bowl. Put him on the right side and watch him road grade the run game.

23. Detroit Lions
Cordy Glenn, OG, Georgia: He could play tackle or guard. I like him better at guard, much like Carl Nicks of the Saints. He is perfect for the Lions, who have a few offensive line issues and some age. Everyone is thinking back seven on defense for Detroit, but this is too good to pass up.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers
Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis: The Steelers would love to keep Ziggy Hood at the DE spot. With an aging Casey Hampton (plus a big contract) and the retirement of backup NT Chris Hoke, it is time they get the NT of the future. Poe is athletic and massive.