ESPN.com poll right now says just 53% of SN thinks Hines is a Hall of Famer
How is that possible? I understand there's a logjam of wide receivers waiting to get in, but there is no way that Hines doesn't have the credentials to be an HOF player. Let's see:
- One of only 8 players with 1,000 career catches
- More than 12,000 receiving yards
- The incredible streak of 186 straight games with a reception
- 76 catches and 1,064 catches in 14 career postseason games, which included a Super Bowl MVP, two SB touchdowns, and an appearance in a third Super Bowl
- Holds just about every major Steeler receiving record, which is not exactly like being the Jaguars all-time leader
- And, most importantly...his BLOCKING! You know people, for whatever reason (possibly because he is an unpopular guy who is viewed as dirty outside of Pittsburgh) people have to be completely discounting that if they think he's not a HOF player. Being the best blocking receiver of all-time (on what was usually a running team, I might add) has to be a huge factor in his chances.
To those 47 percent who voted nay, all I can say is this: every single one of you would've loved it if Hines Ward was on your team these past 14 years.