Old 03-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #16
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts
Default Re: Stevenson Sylvester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpitt78 View Post
Guys, this may come as a shocker but there are 31 other teams out there and our string of good fortune at a high level may be coming to an end for a while. That is just the way it is. You can't always find gems via later rounds and undrafted free agents. The front office is good but they are not miracle workers.

We are aging. We don't reach. We may find a few gems like Antonio Brown and Mike Wallace, but certain positions are harder to fill. Big guys that have an above average mental capacity, hit hard, and run fast are not as easy to find as receivers.

One other thing we may be overlooking here is leadership at the position to help guide talent along. Hines Ward was that for many years. Jerome Bettis was that for many years. I am not sure we have many of those leaders, if any, left on this roster, that will take a young player under their wing and mentor them.

Chad-
Trai Essex (3rd), Bruce Davis (3rd), Tony Hills (4th), Sepulvada (4th), Spaeth(3rd), Troy Edwards, Scott Sheilds, Alonzo Jackson, Willie Reid, Mathias Nkwenti.....were all reaches. I think we will see that Jason Worilds was a reach too.

Ben, Woodley, Clark, Pouncey and others will all show leadership, its just changing of some talent at positons, not the end of the world.

Again, I am intrigued by James Michael Johnson LB-Nevada, Tank Carder ILB -TCU and Jerry Franklin LB-Arkansas in the 3rd, if a LB is not addressed earlier. I think they can all be improvements at ILB on Foote and Sylvester.