View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #23
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585
Default Re: William Gay meets with Cardinals

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
More Gay-bashing, that's all. You think he's earned some respect, then you see him being automatically demoted to "fourth or fifth" string, in favor of two draftees who have yet to do anything in this league. I'd love to see Allen and Brown become dominant forces, but it has to happen first.
That's not what I was saying at all. Gay proved last year that he could be reasonably relied upon as a nickel back, or even a starter, if necessary. But if you actually take a realistic view of the scenario and the organization's trajectory, it's pretty clear that William Gay is not in their future plans, and as it stands now, the core of their secondary going into the future is Keenan Lewis, Curtis Brown, and Cortez Allen, and they expect them to contribute sooner than later. Lewis has already been playing the outside corner spot in nickel packages, so chances are, he will be the full-time starter to begin the season. Gay might start the season as the nickel back, but I do believe that the organization desires to have Brown and/or Allen in the regular rotation as the season progresses. The reality is that with Carnell Lake, the Steelers are shifting to more man schemes, which is reflected in their more recent draft picks, while Gay's strength is more in the elaborate zone schemes.

In truth, what I would love to see happen would be to move Gay to safety. He could be the primary backup and play in certain nickel and dime situations, with the flexibility to play corner as well, and he, being 5 years younger than Ryan Clark, could be the immediate successor to the FS position and be a stopgap there before finding a more long-term solution.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote