View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #29
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585
Default Re: William Gay meets with Cardinals

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...h-carnell-lake

Quote:
Lake: "Because we didn't have off-season workouts or training and coaching sessions with the guys, I couldn't do anything but watch film. I watched a lot of film. I figured out that we could do certain things better. Some things they were already doing well. I wanted to find people to put on the field that would be more aggressive. Sometimes if you are too aggressive you get burned. But I figured that if I could teach them the correctly and make the correct changes we would have some success. Hopefully it is paying off. I think so."
Quote:
"Part of it is in response to the first question. It was just teaching him to be a little more aggressive. It's one thing to say 'you need to be more aggressive,' but how do you do that? We've been working on those things to get him in a position where he can make plays. He's not a big guy, but he can play aggressively and still use his size to help him make plays. So far it's working.

A big part of coaching a cornerback is giving them confidence in themselves that they can play. I was a strong safety my first six years under Bill Cowher. Ron Woodson went down, and I figured that they were going to put the other corner in, right? No.

Coach LeBeau said 'Carnell, you're in.' 'What? I've never played corner in my life. What are you talking about?'

That first game was against the Cincinnati Bengals, and they had an all-Pro receiver, Carl Pickens, on that team. Carl was running me up and down that field. I was sitting on the bench after the second quarter thinking 'I can't do this. What were they thinking about?' Bill Cowher came up to me and said 'Carnell, you have to have a short memory. Whatever you did in the past doesn't matter. Go out there and do something the next play.'

And you know what? Just that little statement let me say 'It's true—it can't get any worse than it is right now.' So that's what I've tried to pass on to Will."

To be continued...
Boy, that was tough! He also mentions how, unlike most position coaches, he got to put in his two cents when it came time to draft. It's rather obvious that Carnell Lake has had a significant impact on the secondary, not simply in the quality of play, or the style of play, but who's playing. He also talks about in that link how Keenan Lewis went up to him and asked him to help him out, and Lake questioned others in the organization why he wasn't playing. He took him under his wing and made sure he put him in a position to prove himself, and he did, in part, thanks to Lake. LeBeau calls more man schemes now because he CAN call more now, and he CAN more now because of Lake's impact, or what a lot of Steelers writers have already called the Lake Effect.

Quote:
Lake worked with Gay, his teammates say, to study his tendencies and preferences. Gay wanted to be up on the line, handling receivers physically. the Steelers’ previous defensive backs coach, Ray Horton, now the defensive coordinator in Arizona, wanted Gay to stay back, as with all his corners. Lake cut him loose.

“I’m just playin’ my game, man,” Gay said.

LeBeau and the Steelers’ players praise Horton for his technique teaching, but they sound like they love Lake for adding that physical element. we saw it with Taylor, too, last week in chipping at Welker.

“Ray Horton was a great coach,” LeBeau said. “The reason we wanted to get Carnell was that I had personal experience with him here and knew he was a man of great character. I also knew he was an aggressive player and that he’d be an aggressive coach. I knew what he’d be asking our guys to do.”
http://onlinechannelnews.com/kovacev...first-half-mvp

Last edited by Steelersfan87; 03-20-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote