mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers president Rooney is in support of Saints penalties

Steelers president Rooney is in support of Saints penalties
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, March 22, 2012

Scott Brown is the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review's Steelers beat writer and can be reached at 412-481-5432, via e-mail or on Twitter.

Steelers president Art Rooney II applauded NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who dropped the hammer Wednesday on the New Orleans Saints for engaging in and promoting the practice of bounties.

"I think the commissioner is sending a very loud and clear message here," Rooney told the team's website. "Hopefully, the effect is going to be that we will get these kinds of things out of the game. We don't need this in our game."

Goodell suspended Saints coach Sean Payton for a year without pay, general manager Mickey Loomis for eight games in 2012 and former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams indefinitely for violating the league's bounty rule.

The Saints were also fined $500,000 and stripped of their second-round draft picks this year and in 2013 for a lack of instructional control and for misleading or lying during the league's bounty probe.

"People talk about that (bounties) being around for many years," Rooney said. "This sounds like something that is a little more over the line than anything I've ever heard before."

Goodell took steps beyond punishing the Saints in his quest to rid the NFL of bounties.

Every team was informed that their owner and head coach have to meet, with the former informing the latter that bounties are illegal and that if any such operations are in place they must be stopped immediately.

All owners and head coaches have to submit to Goodell, in writing, a pledge that such a meeting occurred before March 30.

Rooney said the Steelers will comply with Goodell's orders.

"I think he is taking steps to making sure it's not going to be part of the game," Rooney said.

Read more: Steelers president Rooney is in support of Saints penalties - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1pr2mS9ei

(So Belichick cheats his way to at least two SuperBowls and doesn't get suspended but Peyton gets suspended for a year. I guess the owner of the Saints didn't cut a big enough check to Goodell. - mesa)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote