Old 03-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #13
PhantomJB93
Head Coach

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: WOW McFly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
At ILB the Steelers took Stevenson Sylvester.? I'll be amazed if he is ever a full time starter in the NFL. LB taken at the end of the 5th round is a developmental guy anyways.

As for the others, you must mean Thad Gibson and Jason Worilds I guess?

3 LB's taken 3 years ago and not one of them is going to be ready to start this season. Niiiiiiiiccce draft.
To be fair, two of them were OLBs, and we still have the same starting OLBs we had when they were drafted (who both happen to be elite talents) so I wouldn't entirely blame that as being a draft failure. Besides, Worilds has shown he's capable of filling in when we need him to and could probably be a decent starter at this point (not every starting OLB in the NFL is a Woodley or Harrison); maybe not a Pro-Bowler but I'd hardly call him a wasted pick.

As for Sylvester he was a 5th round pick and I'd say you have to be satisfied with how he's turned out. So he probably won't be the next great ILB but he's a great ST player and backup which is about all you can expect a 5th round pick to be.

I do agree with taking Hightower in the first but probably wouldn't focus on the position if he's gone, just not worth worrying about when we have so many other needs. We have enough depth and if we HAD to could rely on Foote and Sylvester for a year. Really, we're spoiled with our team, a lot of teams rely on players of Foote/Sylvester caliber to start for years at a time.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote