View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #11
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,198 Times in 3,492 Posts
Default Re: tony hipchest lame mock draft.

great article by jim wexell that includes his 7 round steelers mock and explains why he didnt take the likes of poe, hightower, etc. interesting point about colbert and the "sure fire" guys. last year he said there were about 20 in the 1st round. if the steelers do trade it will be down, not up in the 1st.

http://pit.scout.com/2/1180912.html

I did my due diligence last week when Pro Football Weekly asked if I could pick for the Steelers in their mock draft.
Having little confidence in any particular player – except a supposed second-round right guard who doesn’t have much, if any, position flexibility – I was staring at pick 24 with a choice between two players who seemed to be Steelers prototypes:

Dont’a Hightower and Cordy Glenn.

Even as a pretend GM, I refuse to use a first-round pick on a slow-talking, overweight waistbender, so I chose Hightower.

And then Kevin Colbert spoke a couple of days later and sounded as confused as I had been.

“There are just not that many sure-fire guys. It’s just an unusual year,” said the general manager who almost never says there are fewer “sure-fire guys” than the number at which he’s drafting.

“Once you get beyond the first seven to 10 guys,” Colbert said, “everybody is going to be picking and hoping.”

Everybody? It’s not just me?

The beauty of Colbert’s honesty, his truth, is that it set me free. I no longer feel obligated to look for the prototype, because, well, maybe there isn’t one this year.

So I’m going with Kevin Zeitler, the right guard from Wisconsin.

Colbert did say his team has no needs, and he’s telling the truth from the perspective of returning starters. But the Steelers do have one glaring need as I see it: Without Chris Kemoeatu, they lack anything close to resembling a pulling guard.

That’s all Kemoeatu did well. He was the offense’s rolling badass, and they used one play, that counter power play, and variations off of it, repeatedly.

Doug Legursky pulled a few times out of duty. So did Trai Essex. Neither of them conjured up visions of Bruce Van Dyke leading Franco.