Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky
Default Re: The Mendenhall bin Laden tweets - a year later

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
I suppose.

But in a war situation, there are generally two combatants each with clearly defined goals consisting of such things as treasure, resources, territory, political control or simply for empire.

Terrorism in and of itself is not a goal - it's a tactic.
Practitioners of terrorism may wish to win converts to their ideology (which is a goal) by engaging in acts of terror, but an act of terrorism can only serve to draw attention to a cause or to an ideology and is unlikely to serve as a means of conquest.

Secondly, though terrorism may be employed by a single group for a single purpose, such groups do not generally own territory or claim nation status and are generally spread throughout a number of nations. Since an act of war usually prompts a response from those who have been attacked, where, precisely, would they aim their weapons to retaliate?

There is no nation called "Terror". Terrorists exist in all nations but are not representative of those nations. McVeigh was a terrorist and a U. S. citizen; so does that make the United States a terrorist nation? Of course not.
If he had brought his AMFO bomb to a foreign land and killed people there, would you agree that that nation has a right to send its military here to destroy our cities and occupy our country just because of the acts of a single person?

I wouldn't.

What I WOULD want is for that person to be arrested and charged with a crime.
So America itself is a terrorist country for (without reason) invading and destroying a historical country, military, economy, and soon to be religious state of Iraq.

Also the citizens that want to protect their country and way of life (for 1,000's of years) are also labeled as enemy combatants and terrorist. If someone invaded our country (with or without a valid purpose) and we protected it, we would be called patriots.

Kind of hypocritical....

Also people like Ted Kazinski, and Timothy McVeigh
Understood the greed, faults, and hipocrosy withing the US governments and grew tired of watching society, the country and the average man get dragged through the coals. That's why they did what they did. Labeled terrorist today, but would have been historical heroes if they were part of the revolt against the British government during the revolution.

Our founding fathers encouraged the citizens to keep control of their governments with fear, and not the other way around. They also encouraged uprisings and revolutions every generation to keep the government honest, and to serve the people.

They'd be disgusted with the way their vision actually turned out.