View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #31
PhantomJB93
Head Coach

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: The Mendenhall bin Laden tweets - a year later

I'm not gonna get into the actual 9/11 conversation, but as far as Mendy's tweets go, the whole thing was SEVERLEY overblown. I'm not saying I agree with what he said, but he asked a a rhetorical question about what our society values and takes as truth and people suddenly acted like he literally typed out "PRAISE ALLAH. DEATH TO AMERICA" To be honest I'm "disgusted" with the people who say they are "disgusted" with him over this.

He didn't say Bin Laden was a hero or be worshiped or anything outrageous. All he said was that it's wrong to celebrate his death, and that we hadn't heard the whole story, which is true. No-one's death should be "celebrated." And we still know very little about the events of his death and his involvement in the terrorist attacks to this day, hence the conspiracy theories and constant arguments.

Now, could he have exercised better judgement as a celebrity/football player/role model and not posted the tweets? Of course. In hindsight he was stupid to say what he did. But, if anything, he should be criticized for that "role model" aspect of the tweets, and not for the content of the tweets themselves.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote