Re: The Mendenhall bin Laden tweets - a year later
Thanks for your questions regarding what I found to be offensive. This were his tweets:
- "What kind of person celebrates death? It's amazing how people can HATE a man they have never even heard speak. We've only heard one side ... "
- "I'm not convinced he was even behind the attacks we have really seen no evidence to prove it other than the gov telling us"
- "We'll never know what really happened. I just have a hard time believing a plane could take a skyscraper down demolition style."
- "I believe in God. I believe we're ALL his children. And I believe HE is the ONE and ONLY judge."
- "For those of you who said you want to see Bin Laden burn in hell ... I ask how would God feel about your heart?"
I've got no problem with much of it - leaving judgement to God, decrying the hatred, etc. That's all fine, although perhaps ill-timed, and susceptible to being misunderstood. The bothersome parts (bolded) are where he questions whether bin Laden was responsible (bin Laden has claimed responsibility multiple times in different venues, and there's even a pre-attack video showing foreknowledge of the plot), and also the doubts about whether "a plane could take down a building demolition style." That's just plain ignorance.
Of course he has freedom of speech, but this was an incredibly painful experience for our country. The topic is too serious for an entertainer or athlete to casually display his ignorance so publicly. It's too hurtful to so many.