Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,251 Times in 4,388 Posts
My Mood: Worried
Default Re: Wes Welker: 'The ball's in their court'

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelax04 View Post
Well, there goes any chance he had for signing a long term deal...

Damage control: Welker backtracks on contract comments

Submitted by 60 Max Power O Staff on May 19, 2012

Amid reports that the Patriots were not too happy about his comments to the Boston Herald's Karen Guregian on Thursday, Wes Welker has backtracked, telling the media during his camp at Bishop Fenwick High School in Peabody, MA that he is actually happy to be playing with his one year franchise tag at $9.5 million.

In an apparent effort to smooth things over with the team, Welker admitted his comments may have been a little too extreme about the current state of his contract negotiations with the Patriots, first reported by boston.com:

"That was probably a bad choice of words saying theyíve gotten worse," Welker said. "Theyíve stayed the same. Iím franchised for the year and Iím completely happy with that and completely OK with it. I look forward to contributing to the team in 2012.

"Iím not frustrated whatsoever. I know the words that came out probably seemed that way but Iím not frustrated at all. Iím making five times what I did last year so thereís no frustration here."

Also, on his twitter "leap of faith" comment after signing the franchise tender:

"I donít know, probably not the wisest choice of words," Welker said. "Sometimes you react on emotions every once in a while and it gets the best of you. Iím just excited to be on the team and help my team win."

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...ments/10828853