Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,571 Times in 5,978 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Default Re: Santonio Holmes feels he's being overworked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
This is why i had faith in the front office's decision to get rid of holmes. hell of a talent, but possible cancer
he's definitely a cancer, in hindsight that 5th round draft choice we got for Sanstonio looks pretty good...

Santonio Holmes stages ‘mini-meltdown’ during OTAs

JUNE 7, 2012
by ZACK KELBERMAN

Here we go again.

In his first appearance since returning from Germany, where he spent the last two weeks on a USO trip, Santonio Holmes “staged a mini-meltdown” during the Jets’ final OTA practice on Thursday, ESPNNewYork.com reports.

Supposedly, a “disgusted” Holmes, who angrily tossed his helmet and exchanged words with receivers coach Sanjay Lal, pulled himself out of the nearly two-hour workout because he felt overworked.

“I was talking to the coach, letting him understand it was too many reps today,” Holmes said. “I’ve been gone for a while, so I can’t be at full tempo like the rest of the guys and where they want us to be at.”

“I’m at OTA No. 5. … I’ve got a lot of catching up to do for myself.”

Although not injured, Holmes was seen limping after taking somewhere between 20-25 reps. Unsurprisingly, coach Rex Ryan came to his defense, saying the veteran wideout simply did what’s best for himself.

“If he thinks he’d be stretching it to give five or 10 extra reps, you have to be smart about it,” Ryan said, adding, “If a guy thinks he’s tight … you don’t want a guy pulling (a muscle). He knows his body better than anybody.”

This, of course, is notable because it was just five months ago when Holmes and offensive lineman Wayne Hunter nearly came to blows in the Jets’ season-ending loss to the Dolphins, during which teammates accused Holmes of quitting on the team. That incident made public New York’s fractured locker room and sent Gang Green into a tailspin which they’ve just started recovering from.

Up to this point, Holmes has attempted to right the wrongs this offseason. He started by repairing his streaky relationship with quarterback Mark Sanchez, whom he reportedly blew off during offensive meetings last season. The two began their bonding by training in Orlando, and eventually worked their way back to New York, where they enjoyed some quality time together during a Knicks game. Just a few days ago, Holmes announced he will be joining Tim Tebow and a plethora of skill-position players at “Jets West,” a passing camp Sanchez coordinates.

Despite being on the up-and-up, however, Holmes’ true colors may have shown themselves here. It wouldn’t be a huge deal in any other market, but this is the Big Apple, and, as he knows by now, everything is dissected down to the tiniest detail.

This could — and probably will — blow over in the next few days, but Holmes needs to make sure nothing of the sort comes up again. Otherwise, the Jets are left with nothing but an expensive tiger whose stripes haven’t changed one iota.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar..._head_10965413