View Single Post
Old 06-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
Go 'Lers
Water Boy

Member Number: 23944
Default Expansion teams in Pittsburgh

Will there ever be another pro sports franchise to come to the city of Pittsburgh? Let's explore the options and see...

National Basketball Association: Now I know we have talked about this from time to time. Why not. We have a new arena, stable economy, Mark Cuban has lobbied several times to say we can support it. Despite a very good market in Pittsburgh, another team would do more to stretch our dollars thin.

Verdict: Nagonna happen

Reason: A balance of 3 of the 4 major sports leagues in one city of our size is a good balance for right now. Besides, the NBA's only option is to relocate a team rather than expand and we certainly don't want any other cities team, we want a team of our own.

Major League Soccer: here is a sport with rapidly growing popularity (no, really) and an increasing number of youth signing up for leagues. Some think we are moving away from "contact heavy" sports, others see the world most beloved game finally washing up on our shores. Either way, this would be the perfect time to get a team for less than it will be later. After all, Rooney saw the opportunity with football back in the 30's and look how that worked out! It's time to do it again.

Verdict: despite all what I wrote above, it won't happen.

Reason: the team in Columbus already wears black and yellow!

...but in all seriousness, I truly believe a soccer team is the way to go. We already have a great stadium and just use the lower bowl of Heinz Field. The price of a franchise is substantially going to be cheaper now then when the league has grown to 30.

What are your thoughts?
Go 'Lers is offline   Reply With Quote