Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,543 Times in 3,762 Posts
Default Re: What did Penn State know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
i don't see the point in sanctioning the school so far after the fact. they are punishing the wrong people. if they wanna strip old wins away fine , but screwing up the careers of people who had nothing to do with it is wrong. if there's going to be a message sent , then it should be from the courts in the form of prison time and lawsuits against the individuals who had knowledge of the crimes and allowed them to be swept under the carpet.
NCAA sanctions always punishing the current players and coaches for past sins (e.g. - Pete Carroll may have known Reggie Bush and his family were getting paid, but Pete and Reggie had moved on when the NCAA dropped the hammer on USC). Hitting a program with its future competitiveness is how meaningful NCAA sanctions work.

Don't worry about senior Penn State officials going to jail for the cover-up and Penn State writing some big checks - that will happen as well.

However, since the main finnacial beneficiary of a sucessful football program is the Penn State athletic department, not the players, the NCAA properly is dropping the hammer on the program

Even I am not cynical enough to believe JoePa & friends were motivated solely to protect a pedophile who was also a colleague. So what were they protecting? A compelling argument can be made they were protecting the football program from taking the PR hit from having a pedophile revealed to have been embeddded within the program for decades, which in turn would hammer recruiting, fundraising for a major expansion of Beaver Stadium in the late 90s, and success on the field that funded the athletic department while maintaining alumni loyalty for future fundraising. In other words the cover-up was designed to maintain a competitive advantage on the field and allow JoePa to continue his race with Bobby Bowden (no stranger to running a successful program that met up with the NCAA investigators from time to time) to replace Bear Bryant as the leader in wins among Division I coaches.

Engaging in academic fraud to keep players eligible or paying players to benefit the program may be a subject of a criminal prosecution but has always been a platform for NCAA sanctions. The NCAA, along with Louis Freeh, has concluded that this toxic environment was allowed to flourish because of the cult of JoePa in Happy Valley and the need to continue the success of the football program at all costs.

I agree with Vis and Mach1 that the current playersshould be allowed to transfer with no loss of eligibility. Otherwise I have no problem with Penn State getting blasted without a death penalty, which would have damaged everyone in Happy Valley who does business on football Saturdays.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote