Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 2,694 Times in 1,491 Posts
Default Re: Sikhs express shock after shootings at Wisconsin temple

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Ummm...I guess, I'm just saying that I too think it was odd that it was called domestic terrorism before any name, description, or motive was released.

And are you saying there's no way that someone could shoot up a movie theater as a way to attain goals that are ideological in nature (how broad stretching is that term?) by instilling fear? Kind of seems like it could to me, you could apply that to almost anything.

Any act of violence or threat of violence can be terrorism. terrorism is a word denoting the motive. Yes the news jumped on the word quickly. They do that for a reason - sensationalism = ratings.

the Joker guy (following Dan's lead on naming him) was only trying to be a famous villain. He's the real version of Mr. Glass. If he had a political motive he did a piss poor job of getting the word out.

It could also be that the Sikh shooter didn't want to make a point but just hated different people enough to simply want to kill as many as he could. That isn't terrorism either. It's just evil.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote