Old 08-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,135 Times in 2,826 Posts
Default Andrew Luck Impresses Tomlin

Luck’s Performance in First Game Impresses Opposing Coach for His Next

Mike Tomlin is not a coach who is easily impressed. Even the most dominant performances by his Steelers are often met with a shrug of the shoulders.

Still, even Tomlin had to be impressed at least a little by what he saw from Indianapolis quarterback Andrew Luck last week. The top pick in April’s N.F.L. draft, Luck threw for a touchdown on his first pass as a professional and spent his four series on the field lighting up the Rams in a 38-3 preseason victory for the Colts.

“I thought he played really well,” Tomlin said. “I don’t mean ‘played really well for a rookie.’ I thought he played really well.”

An encore, however, figures to be tougher against the Steelers (0-1) on Sunday night. Pittsburgh’s first-string defense played sparingly in the preseason opener against Philadelphia. ...

Having a little familiarity with what the Colts are trying to do helps. Indianapolis’s offensive coordinator, Bruce Arians, spent five seasons in the same position with Pittsburgh before being let go in the off-season.

The exit was not graceful. The Steelers announced that Arians retired, though the sabbatical lasted less than two weeks before the Colts tapped him to mold Luck into Peyton Manning’s successor.

Arians insists that he is not looking for payback against his former employer — just looking for his rookie to take another step forward.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/sp...r=1&ref=sports

Any word on whether the Steelers are planning to give out Arians bobblehead dolls Sunday night or otherwise honor the return to Heinz Field of the offensive genius responsible for the Steelers appearances in SB XLIII and SB XLV?
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote