View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #63
steelfan23

Member Number:
Default Re: Time to stick a fork in Polamalu and Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Tell me if I am understanding your points correctly.  In all seriousness, this is what I am reading/this is what is coming across... and I want to see if this what you actually intended to say.  [I don't want to put words in your mouth.]  

1. Troy had two good seasons: 04 & 05.  

2.  Troy had bad years in: 06, 07, & 08.  

3.  Alge Crumpler falling on his knee in 09, and his hamstring (or was it a knee) in 10 had little to do with the downswing in his play, because he was already declining (see point #2).  

4.  His only real asset was his speed, and now that he's slower, he is basically ineffective.  

Again, were these your points?

If so... if all if that is true, I think that your list would actually be even LONGER... no?  

[My list: Eric Berry, Ed Reed, Troy... everyone else.]  
Just for the record:

I don't think Troy has had bad years per se. In fact I would rank him top three safety up until he got hurt before the Super Bowl. In fact wasn't he the D MVP that year? He was exceptional all those years. I think his speed allowed him to get to the spot faster than offense could account for. Especially in the run game. His speed and vertical allowed him to get to some pretty insane INTs as well. Sure he took bad angles and sometimes missed tackles but easily worth it.

Now however, being much slower, he can no longer get by with his athleticism. He is just another guy out there. Hey, maybe he never truly got healthy from that injury. It sure appears that way to me. Seriously, the drop off from a MVP type season to what we got last year and so far this year is dramatic. He obviously should not have rushed back for the SB because he was a liability but we had no one else so I understand. Then with lockout and off the field endeavors maybe he didn't take training as serious. I hope that maybe he just needs the first half of this year to finally get healthy and he can return to his form. Problem there is that he easily looks 5 to 10 lbs overweight (as do Timmons, Woodley) and healthy or not, you can't be elite at that position with added weight.