View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #78
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206
Default Re: Time to stick a fork in Polamalu and Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
Chuck Noll: Won 4 SB's then stayed for another decade that produced nothing.
But the FO couldn't muster the courage to tell him it's time to go because of his "sainthood" and so we instead endured a decade of mediocre football.

Dick LeBeau: A Defensive genius who changed the way football is played but (like Noll) has lost more than a step in the last five years but will likely die on the sideline because once again his "sainthood" makes it impossible to let him go.

Both of these men were revolutionary and both rightfully achieved legendary status. But the fact is that eventually everything comes to an end and everyone loses their edge. But the tendency in this organization is to live in a state of denial and ignore those facts.

Are you suggesting that Noll retired at the top of his game?
Or that LeBeau still has years of innovation left in him?

I think both of them are the greatest things that ever happened to this team.
The problem is that they were both placed on pedestals too high for anyone to reach and no one wanted to be the one to have to climb up there and tell them that maybe it's time to move on.

I agree. I"m surprised they had the balls to let Arians go. But you're right for example on LeBeau - no matter what he does, he's untouchable and will stay no matter what the consequences.
I'm afraid of what will happen with Polamalu and Harrison....who also have reached "saint" status with the fans (and rightly so....). But there comes a time..............................
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote