Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts
Default Re: Time to stick a fork in Polamalu and Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
Chuck Noll: Won 4 SB's then stayed for another decade that produced nothing.
But the FO couldn't muster the courage to tell him it's time to go because of his "sainthood" and so we instead endured a decade of mediocre football.

Dick LeBeau: A Defensive genius who changed the way football is played but (like Noll) has lost more than a step in the last five years but will likely die on the sideline because once again his "sainthood" makes it impossible to let him go.

Both of these men were revolutionary and both rightfully achieved legendary status. But the fact is that eventually everything comes to an end and everyone loses their edge. But the tendency in this organization is to live in a state of denial and ignore those facts.

Are you suggesting that Noll retired at the top of his game?
Or that LeBeau still has years of innovation left in him?

I think both of them are the greatest things that ever happened to this team.
The problem is that they were both placed on pedestals too high for anyone to reach and no one wanted to be the one to have to climb up there and tell them that maybe it's time to move on.
I did not say anything about LeBeau

But this is what you asked with regard to Noll

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
The thing I don't get about Steeler fans in general (and I've been one for 40 years) is the reverence displayed for three people: Chuck Noll, Dick LeBeau and now Troy Polamalu.
I don't understand why they seem to be regarded as some sort of Supernatural beings.

Yes, they all deserve accolades and they all deserve to be in the Hall of Fame -- but none deserve sainthood. They're just people who are good at what they do but none are "gifts" to football or to humanity and the idea of putting them on pedestals drives me crazy. It's as if this game wouldn't exist if the three of them didn't.
You did not ask me whether Noll hung around too long (he did) - you said you did not get why he was revered

If someone is the greatest thing to happen to an organization (you and I agree Chuck Noll was that person for the Steelers) and it is a successful organization (most Lombardis won by any NFL team would seem to meet that standard) then it is no shock that person is revered by the fan base

I do not think anyone is saying Noll was a gift to football or humanity (if you want to go into that area ask some old time Green Bay fans about Saint Vince), just that Noll, probably even more than the Chief (who was revered even though his team was a joke for its first 40 years), is revered for what followed after he arrived in Pittsburgh
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote