Old 09-23-2012, 12:19 AM   #5
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: muslim day of love

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
I get what you're saying, Mom, but in very real terms these countries are occupied by foreign powers. Many of the same arguments that you and others use in our gun debates here apply perfectly in Pakistan, Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, etc., much more so than they do here in the US of A. So why shouldn't they use violence?

For the record, I support non-violent protest for lots of reasons, but mainly because it works better than violent protest 90% of the time.
I would never advocate straight up violence as a means of protest. Ever. I only see it as a very last resort, and more for the protection aspect of it. I get where you're going with this, and to an extent I agree. I don't blame them for being pissed at the US. I want us out of there too. I can't remember which article it was from, but I believe it was one of the leaders from Egypt who stated that the actions of the government (US) do not reflect what the people think, and stressed non-violence and patience. He stated the same for the offense they felt about the video, that not all Americans feel that way.

I don't like that they get all worked up over a video, and consider free speech second to their own religion. But I can see where a lot of this is just becoming the straw that broke the camel's back type of reactions.

Again, not condoning any of the violence, but if our gov't could have kept to only intervening in other countries business in extreme situations (i.e. stopping genocides), then we probably wouldn't be worrying about any of this today.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=1295313365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote