View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #40
AndyWitmyer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 14802
My Mood: Cheeky
Default Re: On the plus side...for people who don't want to mope around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
well on a positive note, we put up a lot of points on the road. We were missing numerous starters, including our 2 best players on D. Still no running game, but no Mendy either. That could get better when he returns. Line could improve as well when DeCastro returns.

More positives. Usually, best record doesn't take the Super Bowl. Here are the lastest SB champs regular season records. Better to be playing good in December and healthy than to be racking up wins early.
Just looking at the bright side.

Giants-9-7
Packers-10-6
Saints-13-3
Steelers-12-4
Giants-10-6
Colts-12-4
Steelers-11-5

So in recent history, the SB champ is just as likely to be 9-7 as 13-3, or just as likely to be 10-6 as 12-4. 11-5 would be the average record of these winners and no team in the last 7 years has won the SB with less than 3 losses. I think we're just trying to make sure we get to 3 losses and then we'll start playing.
Exactly - I'd rather have the Steelers have a rocky start than a miserable finish. In this league, it's important to start momentum at the right time - you can have a perfect record going into the post season and lose in the playoffs. Again - I think it's important that the team finds and identifies its problems early and corrects them when it counts - it's not unreasonable to assume that the Steelers will correct their course before mid-season. But, it is the NFL - so - who knows! But thanks for sticking with the theme of the thread (you an steelfury)!