Old 10-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #18
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,040 Times in 3,058 Posts
Default Re: Personnel for a 4-3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelHaven View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by not having a true 4-3 DE in the mold.. You forgot Woirlds who also played 4-3 DE in college. I agree we won't see a switch this year but as I stated above. With Harrison, Hampton, Kiesel retiring/or just going in a different direction this opens up cap space. We may just have the money to fill what we need for next year to fully turn into a 4-3 via the draft and free agency.
worilds was a defensive end in college considered to be TOO SMALL to make the transition to DE in the pros. just like porter, just like haggans, gildon, hell, even lamaar woodley was considered to small and slow to transition well.

thats why many of these stud atheletes fall in the draft. that is why steelers found so many good ones, because back in the day they were one of the few teams transitioning these guys to 3-4 OLB's.

since then, many teams copy us.

a prototypical 4-3 DE looks like julius peppers, jarod allen, mario williams (all considered too smal to be 3-4 DE's).

you just dont swap them for the sake of swapping them and think its gonna work.

hell there were many who though #1 overall pick wouldnt be able to play OLB in the texans new 3-4.

know what? after 1 year, he is not an OLB with the texans no more.