Old 10-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #52
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,012 Times in 3,426 Posts
Default Re: Larry Foote Says Players Donít Trust LeBeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
Well I haven't trusted this system for the last few years.

It's stale, it's old, it's been solved by every team in the league and it's being mailed in.

unFREAKINGbeleivable
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post

But I think the "tip-toeing" aspect is more likely.
I don't believe that LeBeau is so much being stubborn as he is simply set in his ways.
At 75 years of age and with about 50 years of pro football under his belt, I think he just doesn't have the desire to really dig down and reinvent this defense to compete in today's NFL. It's not that he doesn't want to. I just think he realizes just how much time and effort that would take and I wonder if he can muster the energy to dedicate himself to something like that.

Picture yourself at 75 after a very long and storied career. You're looking at basically overhauling the entire defense and you know that in reality it will take more than one training camp to do that. Would you have the drive and energy for that?
Or would you be more content to leave things as they are and look more towards retirement than reinvention?

*sniffle* [wiping tears away]

thats a beautiful story, man. did you come up with that riding off into the sunset fairy tale all by yourself?

i might actually buy into your wildly speculative and make believe theory if it want 100% false and disputed by about every single steelers defensive player who freely admits that lebeau overhauls the defense every off season and intruduces about 15-20% of new plays EVERY YEAR in camp.

i really hope people do some research on the matter.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ics-zone-blitz

Quote:
Fire zones are essentially three-deep coverages, and offenses have known how to attack three-deep coverages for years. There are two common methods of doing so. The first is sending four receivers vertical, with the idea being that three deep defenders shouldn't be able to play four deep receivers. The second is sending the outside receiver vertical while the tight end or slot runs a deep out or a curl/flat combination. The pattern-match fire zone therefore is specifically designed to handle these tactics. Broadly speaking, these "SCF/Seam" or "Bronco" defenders will play man-to-man on the second receiver from the sideline so long as he runs vertically down the seam or runs a deep out of any kind. If the receiver breaks hard to the inside, the Bronco defender passes him off to the inside defenders and looks for another receiver coming through his zone.

"SCF" and "Seam" are the two most common methods of teaching this technique. "SCF" stands for Seam-Curl-Flat, and literally tells the defender the order of his priorities: Watch the seam, drop to the curl area, and let the quarterback's throw take you to the flat. The SCF technique is played from inside to out.

The "Seam" technique, which is Dick LeBeau's now-preferred method, works much the same way as SCF, only from the outside in. The theory is that in the NFL, if the defender isn't aligned to the outside, the quarterbacks are so good that they will hit the out-breaking routes all day. The "Seam" technique also has implications for how and when defenders will switch off certain receivers, but, just like a matchup zone in basketball, more important than the scheme is the communication and discipline used to make it go.

The upshot of pattern-match zone blitzes is that when executed correctly, they are the best of all possible worlds: They're attacking, multi-defender blitzes in which the defense plays zone coverage against pass patterns designed to beat man-to-man coverage against pass patterns ó all verticals ó designed to defeat zones.
farrior, clark and polamalu are/were the communicators....