Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,824 Times in 7,531 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: It's Scheme, not Talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Technically, we do have a top-5 defense. Now, you can qualify that all you want, and you can all be regular spoiled Steelers fans who can't stomach the thought that other teams, by rule, are allowed to win from time-to-time. Or, you can take a peek into the league's present and future thanks to Mr. Goodell and company. In other words, they really are a top-5 defense in this league, and you can all stop whining.

The flip side to this is that they always turn it around whenever they dip downwards, so just imagine how good they're going to be in a few weeks when they get their studs back and iron a few kinks out.
Wait... you state that nothing is wrong; and that I should stop whining. Then, in the very next paragraph, you say that they will "turn it around" & that they'll "iron out the kinks."

If there's nothing wrong... well... uh... what would there be to turn around/iron out?

1. Are you yourself whining? Because, that second paragraph sounds eerily like what I said... and you called me a whiner.

2. Regarding paragraph one. Are you reeeeally satisfied with the current performance of this defense? Really? You wouldn't change anything??? Oh... in paragraph two, you say that you would iron out a few kinks... meaning slight changes... so, again, you agree.

3. I have posted, many times that once Polamalu returns, he'll make "just enough" difference, to turn those slight losses into slight wins. Maybe it's a key INT or forced fumble; maybe it's a sack or a batted pass on third down; or, maybe it's making the QB call an extra time out... something small, but significant.

As Al Pacino said, "The difference is in the inches."

They'll be "good enough" to win a SuperBowl... although, mostly due to their offense scoring 30+ (and the defense doing just enough to hold opponents to less than 25).

4. I think an infusion if young talent will turn this "good" defense into a 2008-type of juggernaut. They have some good players, but need some more.

32: Barret Jones. LT, Alabama*
64: Matt Elam, S, Florida
96: Shayne Skov, LB, Stanford
R4: Nico Johnson, LB, Alabama

*[NOTE: As much as I'd like a stud R1 safety, I'd like a LT even more.]
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote