View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
Rockonsteel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15574
Default Re: What we've learned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
Most people will disagree, but I don't see this team being dominant again under Tomlin. When Cowher's players were still elite in 2008, they were possibly the best defense to ever play and we won a SB. As Cowher's players declined we were able to make it to the SB, but couldn't win it, and got lucky that the Ravens collapsed against us and the Jets somehow beat the Patriots who pulled our pants down earlier that year. Now we are pretty much left with a few guys well past their prime from Cowher's team (except Ben), and a lot of new guys from Tomlin's team, and it's not good. These newer guys like Hood, Lewis, Allen, McClendon, Worilds, etc. came in under Tomlin, and they just don't have the heart that Cowher inspired his teams to play with. On top of that, our draft picks under Tomlin have not panned out: Hood is average, none of our CB's are worth a crap, Worilds played well when filling in last year but can't stay healthy and definitely hasn't shown he's ready to be our next pass rusher. Carter isn't either. On the O line we have drafted young guys that can't stay healthy and spent a #2 pick on a guy (Adams) who looks lost on the field. The jury is still out on Heyward, but that pretty much sums up what our defensive drafts have been like under Tomlin. Timmons is the only one looking like he was worth a top pick, but we had to wait a long time to see that and I'm not convinced his great play will continue.

Enough of the not "rebuilding, only reloading". We don't have the foundation to reload on defense and we don't have the coaching staff to be able to only reload again. IMO we don't even have the coaching staff to choose the right players to reload with.
You forgot about Ryan Mundy's stinking ass. They had the nerve to actually make him the two-way go at backup safety, behind Troy and Ryan, first off the bench for either guy, like he's that good. Hell, he's not good at either SS or FS, let alone being backup for both. I don't even understand why he's still on the team. Golden showed enough in the preseason, IMO, that I would've gone with Golden over Mundy for the final 53.

Rockon
Rockonsteel is offline   Reply With Quote