View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #26
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319
Default Re: Tomlin's stock dropping

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
I don't think so. I think the teams problem is Dick Lebeau.

He can't call a good defensive game without Troy Polamalu to bail him out.

It's been showing for years and now it is more obvious than the sun rising everyday.

Unfortunately Lebeau is an icon in this city and it will take the National Guard to get him out of there.
True, but that's on Tomlin too. I don't expect him to tell LeBeau to resign at the end of the year, on top of that he may not even have the power to do so, but he can at least tell him that the game plan isn't working. We don't make ANY in-game adjustments on the defensive side of the ball and we play the same cushion defense against nearly every team. Tomlin has to tell him to cut that s*** out. He also needs to tell him to play Cam Heyward, let's see what he can do since Keisel and Hood can't get it done.

This problem goes back to 2010 when the league changed. 2010 is when the defensive WR rules got blown out of proportion, which changed the way our defense played. It's not so much that Troy was bailing him out then, it's that his style of defense in not meant for this new era. Smacking the snot out of WR's in the middle, hitting QB's square on and getting in there head, and playing the run game is what LeBeau's defense is all about and now all of those things have been nullified by the new rules and the offensive changes that have followed. Troy may have made a lot of plays in 2010 but the Pats, Saints, and Packers showed that the style we were playing was becoming outdated fast. LeBeau is an excellent DC and fielded the best 3-4 defense ever to play the game, that is why I'm surprised he hasn't been able to adapt. The more I see though, even if the perfect scheme was played, I don't see us being able to stop the pass. This group of players were drafted and built around that scheme and are getting pretty old on top of that. We need some big changes.