View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,169 Times in 2,654 Posts
Default Re: lets put an end to the strangle hold ....

this is what i posted to SCMom a few weeks back-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i voted for him twice as republican governor and many people (including myself) were bummed there were term limits and he couldnt run again. i am more than pleased to be voting for him again this election.

when i first voted for him i barely knew nothing about him. alot of people didnt as he was new to the political arena. my car broke down late on a friday evening in the middle of nowhere on the way home from albuquerque. lucky i was near a small town and able to pull off the highway to a convinience store.

i waited till i saw a construction worker in his work truck. i dont know shit about cars and saw he had a ton of tools. i asked him if he could check it out and help me. he said he would but i would owe him a favor. the problem was relatively minor and he was able to get me back on the road. very grateful i asked what i owed him.

he said "you have to vote for my boss for the governor of new mexico. he owns this construction company" as he pointed to his truck. "he is a grat boss, a great family man, and a great person. you will not regret your vote".

as a registered democrat, i might of just voted for the incumbent, but my word is my word. plus i was really impressed with the man who would do me such a huge favor and all he wanted in return was to help his business man boss.

johnson turned his handyman side jobs in college into one of the largest construction companies in new mexico. this man revered his boss like they were a small business with 10 employees.

i may not agree'd every bit with his republican platform, but he wasnt your typical republican. i guess he's kind of seen as a little radical. he is very socially liberal which is important to me. the biggest thing is he was a great people person. he was in touch with the state he was governing and the problems it faced.

he was the type of leader who even if you didnt agree with 100% you could get behind them and feel comfortable giving your support.

heres a nice synopsis from wiki-
Quote:
In an interview in Reason magazine in January 2001, Johnson's accomplishments in office were described as follows: "no tax increases in six years, a major road building program, shifting Medicaid to managed care, constructing two new private prisons, canning 1,200 state employees, and vetoing a record number of bills."[23] Andrew Sullivan quoted a claim that Johnson "is highly regarded in the state for his outstanding leadership during two terms as governor. He slashed the size of state government during his term and left the state with a large budget surplus."[36] According to one New Mexico paper, "Johnson left the state fiscally solid," and was "arguably the most popular governor of the decade . . . leaving the state with a $1 billion budget surplus."[37] The Washington Times has reported that when Johnson left office, "the size of state government had been substantially reduced and New Mexico was enjoying a large budget surplus."[25] According to a profile of Johnson in the National Review, "During his tenure, he vetoed more bills than the other 49 governors combined—750 in total, one third of which had been introduced by Republican legislators. Johnson also used his line-item-veto power thousands of times. He credits his heavy veto pen for eliminating New Mexico's budget deficit and cutting the growth rate of New Mexico's government in half."[38] Johnson has "said his numerous vetoes, only two of which were overridden, stemmed from his philosophy of looking at all things for their cost–benefit ratio and his axe fell on Republicans as well as Democrats."[20] Johnson was term limited and could not run for a third consecutive term as governor in 2002.[39] In the 2008 presidential election campaign, Johnson endorsed Ron Paul for the Republican nomination.[40] Johnson serves on the Advisory Council of Students for Sensible Drug Policy,[41] a student nonprofit organization that believes that the war on drugs needs to be reevaluated. As of April 2011[update], he serves on the board of directors of Students For Liberty, a nonprofit libertarian organization.[42]
i find him to be very likable. kinda dorky or geeky, but i dont think anyone could honestly call him shady or a shiester.

hes deinitely not a "smooth talker" and i mean that in a good way. pardon teh western expressions but he shoots from the hip and is a straight shooter.

he was an advocate of legalization of drugs when he knew it would probably destroy his political career. he doesnt (and didnt) back down from his convictions.