Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Goodell reecuses himself from bounty cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
ESPN Sports Guy Bill Simmons does a great job of summarizing the awfulness of Goodell in this column - excerpts below

Can you remember another commissioner having his objectivity questioned so vociferously that he had to enlist his former boss to clean up his mess? Me neither.

And you wonder why Goodell might be wearing the "Most Dangerously Incompetent Commissioner in Sports" championship belt for the foreseeable future, even as his rival commissioners keep halfheartedly trying to steal it....

"The commissioner says he is disappointed in me," [Scott] Fujita hissed. "The truth is, I'm disappointed in him. His positions on player health and safety since a 2009 congressional hearing on concussions have been inconsistent at best. He failed to acknowledge a link between concussions and post-career brain disease, pushed for an 18-game regular season, committed to a full season of Thursday night games, has continually challenged players' rights to file workers compensation claims for on-the-job injuries, and he employed incompetent replacement officials for the start of the 2012 season. His actions or lack thereof are by the league's own definition, 'conduct detrimental.'"

Translation: This dude is a H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-T-E.,,,

The league's Thursday-night commitment keeps getting lost in the shuffle when Goodell gets hammered for all the other things Fujita brought up. How can you make football safer while ADDING Thursday-night games? Did Goodell even blink two Thursdays ago when a battered Steelers team started falling apart one player at a time, then was nearly forced to play a backup tight end on its offensive line? What about when the Ravens played four games in 17 days, then immediately suffered a slew of devastating injuries to the surprise of absolutely nobody on the planet? ...

If you're pretending to care about player safety, and that it's not just a pathetic attempt to cover your asses for the wave of looming concussion lawsuits, then wouldn't it make sense to carve out more recovery time for players?

Goodell's players don't want to be protected by him, nor do they want to be insulted by him any longer. They know about the concussion research that dates back to 2006, that Chris Nowinski and the Sports Legacy Institute were treated like nuisances, that nothing would have changed had the media not gotten involved. They know these 13 Thursday-night games were straight-out money grabs that threatened their collective well-being, no different from the Saints allegedly offering bounties for vicious plays. To paraphrase an American hero named Scott Fujita, we're disappointed in you, Roger. You're a hypocrite. And there's just no way around it.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...chy-hypocrites

Who is this Bill Simmon's guy?!? Isn't he the one that said the Steelers wouldn't do well this year? F him! Of course, I kid... Grantland is actually a good site, imho, and Simmons is usually spot on and is a great writer. Definitely hit the nail on the head with this piece as well. Distract everyone with the "Bountygate" while I line my pockets and those of the owners with Thursday night games. Pretty typical big business.
steelax04 is online now   Reply With Quote