Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,685 Times in 10,411 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: LeBeau's reliance on Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
We've seen the numbers with and without Troy. 14 PPG vs 21 PPG. Basically, a #1 defense vs a middle of the pack defense.

We've also seen what happens when Clark is missing in Denver for two straight years. What does everyone say after those games?

"Clark allows Troy to freelance."

Freelance. In other words, work outside of the scheme. We are most successful when our HOF safety is allowed to play his own game outside of the scheme.

So, what does that say about "the scheme"?

There are 18 defenses allowing fewer than our 23 PPG. All of them are missing Troy Polamalu.
Bill Parcells allowed Lawrence Taylor to freelance.

Bill Cowher allowed Derrick Thomas to freelance. Heck, they even invented a position for him (the hawk),

Both of those teams played 10 man defense, and allowed LT and DT to freelance. So does Dick LeBeau, with Troy.

Furthermore, PITT's defense has always ahd a playmaker who made a difference, especially on third downs. You knew that that player would get the sack and/or force a turnover: Greg Lloyd... Joey Porter... Kendrell Bell... James Farrior... and now Troy. Someone needs to fill that void (of playmaker). I thought that it could have been Timmons, but he has vastly underwhelmed me.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote