View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #14
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280
Default Re: Mike Tomlin voted "Coach Players Want To Play For Most"

What did Cowher have.. Something like 6 AFCC appearances with mostly horrible QB's? He is one of only six coaches in NFL history to claim at least seven division titles. Cowher's teams had compiled a record of 108–1–1 in games in which they built a lead of at least eleven points. (that is crazy!)

I'm not comparing Tomlin vs Cowher when I say this... Cowher was one of the best coaches in NFL history for doing what he did. No one argues that Marino wasn't an amazing QB yet he doesn't have the rings to back it up. Cowher has rings and he has stats... When you consider what he had and how he imposed his will on opponents...and he did it his own way. That is why Coach Cowher is one of the greats. To deny that is just ignorant or disingenuous.

Is Tomlin a great head coach? I'd say it's too early to tell. Is he good? I'd say yes..he's very good. But if you are honest you can't deny the fact that he's been given a team loaded with talent at key positions...he's been given a first class coaching staff as well...and he's got a ring. Tomlin has done what is expected ... for the most part. No one can say Tomlin has surpassed expectations IMO... everyone expects us to be SB contenders... been that way since this Ben kid came along.

To be honest I almost think Tomlin would have to win with a different QB (then Ben) then he'd be given the accolades Cowher has been given. Either that or he'd have to win a couple more SB's with Ben. Maybe its unfair? But that's just how people think...they give way more credit to guys who start from scratch and rise up from the bottom. It's in our blood as Americans to give more credence to that kind of success. The guy who takes over Apple is never going to be given the credit of Steve Jobs... no matter what he does.

Last edited by madtowndrunkard; 11-08-2012 at 10:17 PM.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote