Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,806 Times in 7,526 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Steelers make pitch for Roethlisberger as MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twentyvalve View Post
I find it funny Luck is even in the conversation. I guess based on situation at on two levels:

Peyton is gone. The Colts sucked last year. Now they don't. A rookie QB named "Luck" is tearing it up. If he plays for the Buccaneers and his name is McFly I bet we don't have this conversation based on the first two facts. Maybe his name is serendipitous.

Additionally, the league loves to love rookie QB's. It fuels the bottomless hype monster and sells jerseys. I wish the guy well, but I think he is currently the product of situation, not accomplishment. But . . . I think Ben was in a similar boat albeit at the advent of rookie QB sensationalism. I don't dislike Luck, I just think it is absurd to start chiseling him a marble pedestal so soon. I think the media is starting to lose interest in RGIII beyond his name, and Luck might be too far behind?

Even though I question the attention they get, I respect Luck and RGIII. May the they prosper (defined by their achievements and not game by game and highlight to highlight week to week in their rookie years).
I completely disagree. Luck deserves the attention that he is garnering.

The Colts were abysmal. Luck has them as the #5 seed. It is more than just his TDs & passing yards; he is the bonafide leader of that team.

Plus, he's not running a watered-down version of the offense (like BB did as a rookie or RGIII is). He is running the entire offense (even the veterans can't keep up with his knowledge of the playbook). Example: Luck has more deep pass attempts than any other QB (i.e. not just "high percentage" screens).

Plus, he is not surrounded with half the talent that RGII is (or a fifth of the talent that surrounded BB as a rookie). Luck is essentially carrying this team on his back.

That comeback against the Packers (down 21-3) encapsulates his year perfectly: MVP-esque.

Do I think that BB should get more accolades? Absolutely. But, that doesn't mean that Luck doesn't deserve the attention he is indeed receiving.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote