View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #40
Ravnet
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13288
Default Re: Ravens "D" can't stop Taiwan Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
So, they've shown they can win games in the regular season and choke in the playoffs.
The Ravens have either been in the conference semifinals or conference finals every year since 2008, winning at least one playoff game in each try. During that same time span, Pittsburgh has only advanced as far (albeit further) twice, a full 50% less than Baltimore.

I suppose that you're right in that Baltimore has "choked," if you take that phrase to mean losing to elite opponents, but I would give a team like Baltimore more credit for losing to the best than being Pittsburgh and sitting at home or losing to Tim Tebow (as the Steelers did in 2009 and 2011, respectively).

The Ravens have won as many playoff games as Pittsburgh since Harbaugh came on, and received four playoff berths to Pittsburgh's three. For kicks, the Ravens have five playoff berths to Pittsburgh's four if you want to go pre-Harbaugh but after Pittsburgh's 2005 SB run.

This seems to indicate that post-2005, and certainly during the Harbaugh era, the Ravens have been more successful at reaching the playoffs.

On the other hand, you can certainly make a strong case for Pittsburgh being more successful than Baltimore when actually in the playoffs, but considering that the Steelers have enjoyed a prolific decade, this isn't to say that the Ravens haven't been successful in their own right, thus refuting your claim of them only winning in the regular season.

Quote:
John has proven time and time again he can't beat elite teams in the playoffs (Steelers, Patriots)
I'd argue that he has beaten just as many quality opponents as Pittsburgh has during the same time period, despite Pittsburgh appearing vastly superior because of its advancement to two Super Bowls.

Since 2008, and in the playoffs, the Ravens have beaten Miami and Tennessee (2008), New England (2009 and contrary to your explicit claim), Kansas City (2010), and Houston (2011). Pittsburgh has defeated San Diego, Baltimore, and Arizona (2008), and Baltimore and the New York Jets (2010). Since you're into spinning facts into your own factoids, I'll let you do the analysis, but I'm not sure there's a wide margin in talent defeated, and in fact I might give the edge to the Ravens.

It's also unfair to lump Jim/John together; John Harbaugh has been one of the three or four most successful coaches in the league during his five-year tenure. Jim has had one good season.

If you choose to provide some sort of dissection as to the prestige of opponents faced, then carry on with whatever helps you rest easy, but the facts (read: wins/losses) stand.
Ravnet is offline   Reply With Quote