View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #182
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,757 Times in 4,801 Posts
Default Re: The official Mike Wallace sucks thread

You're (and by you're, I mean everyone else in this thread) is operating under the assumption that Wallace will still command a high market in free agency, or one that will be willing (keep this word in mind) to sign Mikey to a "big" contract. This is a 'what have you done for me lately' driven league, and he hasn't been performing up to his potential all year so far. This can be credited to different things, but teams aren't going to be signing a guy to a 5 year / 65+ million dollar deal when he's not making big plays.

Whether it's warranted or not, there's a lot of criticism of Wallace right now. How many teams out there are going to take a chance and offer a more lucrative deal to Wallace that the Steelers couldn't a) match or b) beat? Sure, we can make jokes about the Raiders or Jets would, but those are teams that need quarterbacks and need defensive playmakers more than a fast wide receiver.

edit - My guess is he'll take a 5 year / 50 - 52.5 million dollar deal (both were rumored numbers in training camp) this time around. They'll also offer him more guaranteed money, the only thing keeping Wallace from signing that deal. He never wanted Fitzgerald money because he knew he wouldn't get it. People will rag on the mainstream media about Haley and Ben's feud, but will quote the shit out of it when saying Mike wanted Larry's money. It doesn't make any sense and the double standard here is ridiculous. He hasn't been putting up the same kind of numbers, but he's still learning the playbook and adjusting his game.

Wallace, Brown and Sanders are the future of this team.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote