harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 10,262 Times in 4,117 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: #1 Defense By Smoke & Mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
When a defense (or special teams) hardly gives it's offense a short field (especially on a night when it really needed it), that offense probably won't rank as highly in scoring. This is why I keep bringing up the lack of turnovers. Many of you seem to tip-toe around that particular issue.

If the offense has to march 80 yards down the field all the time, do you expect them to be higher in scoring than 17th?
I partly agree with what your saying about turnovers. But I think it's more important to win the turnover ratio and get good field position than to worry about getting lots of turnovers. In this case I'd blame the offense more than the D.

Due to turnovers (giving and taking) or bad special teams this team has trouble winning the field position battle (again, I'd blame the offense more than the D). In this day of big yard, big pass football, I don't think the Defense can be asked to consistently give the offense a short field.