View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #18
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943
Default Re: Tomlin's another Dave Wannstedt

Although I think the OP is a little over-the-top in his assessment of Tomlin, I do have my doubts.

I've contended that Tomlin, being a players coach, will have trouble winning consistently. He will have guys that want to play for him, and will generally build a winning team. A players coach will win with great players. He can feed their egos and keep the machine running. But, without those players & when times are tough, the team will look to him for leadership & direction & he may not be able to provide it.

Belichick, Coughlin, Parcells and the like are not always popular with the players or media but when the going gets tough, their players (even the backups) are able to overcome. Mike needs to change his approach. When he makes a threat, such as in 2009 (when he threatened that some of the starters would get benched) and then doesn't follow through, the team begins to lose faith in crunch time.

I want Mike to coach the Steelers, and I think that he can be one of the greats, but I think he needs to get tougher on the team & MEAN IT!!
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote