View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 10:32 PM   #26
i82much
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11562
Default Re: Lets go CHARGERS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
What I do know is that 1 yard = 3 feet and his knee was down before the 35. The final spot was a foot inside the 34. That's 4 feet in front of where his knee was down. I don't see anywhere near 4 ft of extension. Even if he laid out flat before his knee hit. Dude is 5'7 with ball tucked to his chest. It's not possible they spotted it correctly. If you put your bias aside you'd see it a little more clearly.
First - neither of us knows where the near side official orange marker is. So we are not going to settle this even if we agree on the math.

Second, I am not saying the exact spot was correct - I am saying that it is plausible (not not certain, not necessarily even likely - plausible) that he got the first down.

Do we at least agree that the unofficial marker on the far side of the field is closer to the line of scrimmage than the 34 yard line? If so, and we assume that's the official marker for the sake of discussion ...

Do we also agree that only the tip of the ball needs to get to to the official yard marker?

Now say Rice's knee is 3 inches closer to the line of scrimmage than the 35. And the marker is 6 inches closer to the line of scrimmage than the 34. That's 33 inches, right?

From Rice's knee to the tip of the ball couldn't possibly be 33 inches?
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote