View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #14
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984
Default Re: Mock with Wallace 3rd round Comp. Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
It's not deep in speed rushers or great OLB, contrary to what you might believe. Comparing Hodges to to Mosley is a mistake. CJ Mosley has been consistently excellent every year he's been with Alabama. He commands double teams - even in college - because of his ability. The 'Bama defense is full of absolute monsters, but Mosley is top notch. I'm not going to go into specifics about his ability, but comparing those two is a mistake. If Mosley is on the board when we're picking, it's an absolute must pick - assuming Jordan isn't there. Speaking of Jordan ...

The Steelers aren't going to pass on a player because he's too tall. That's ridiculous. They don't specifically scout guys because of their height, it's the simple fact of the matter that smaller guys make better speed rushers on the outside because they can use their height to their advantage over bigger tackles. Jordan makes up for this "shortcoming" (I use that word reluctantly) by being insanely strong and amazingly quick off the ball. He's 6'7 243 and runs a 4.5. Comparing him to anyone else in the NFL is a mistake, honestly, because I haven't seen anyone with his skillset before in the NFL. Saying the Steelers are going to pass on him because of his height doesn't make any sense. He's stronger and faster than Aldon Smith was coming out of college, but the knock on him is lack of experience at OLB / DE. Give him a year with LeBeau and he's going to be a top 5 ROLB in the NFL.

There's a reason why some guys are first round picks, and others are mid round picks. Phillip Thomas is not as talented as Eric Reid - not even close. Watch an LSU game and tell me Thomas has the same instincts and ability that Reid has. On top of that, Reid plays in a stacked secondary and still has the ability to make plays and find the ball.

I can appreciate your positivity toward guys in the later rounds, but the first two rounds of this draft is chalk full of defensive talent. We can't afford to take an offensive player in the first two rounds with all of the needs we have. Grabbing Jordan / Mosley in the first and someone like Johnson in the second makes an immediate impact and an infusion of youth into this defense.
I like Hodges more then Mosley in any round of the draft ... just my preference I guess

Don't know much about Dion Jordan haven't watched any Oregon games... but i've heard he is a freak of nature ...

And yes I think Phillip Thomas has just as good as instincts as Eric Reid ... I like Rambo better then any safety in the draft though ...

I like Alec Ogletree better then any LB in the draft if he declairs ...

actually a first 3 pics dream of mine ... would be Alec Ogletree then Rambo then Hodges

But we both agree Defense is a need ... and only reason I drafted the WR and RB was because of the Wallace gone thing and extra pick, was just playing around ... I don't want to see any Offense player drafted really
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote