View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #47
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118
Default Re: Rolando McClain anybody???

Seems to me he was a square peg in oakland trying to fit a round hole. He was made to play the 3-4 defense and that is where his comfort level is. 3 defenses in 3 years hasn't helped him along with the cracy organization which is the oakland raiders either.

From Walter Football draft report

Rolando McClain Scouting Report
By Matt McGuire

Strengths:
Huge frame for ILB
Very long arms
Good level of production
Comfortable in coverage
Excellent tackling technique
Stacks and sheds blocks well
Very good pass rusher
Love his timing on blitzes
Nice agility; smooth change of direction
Highly experienced
Takes good angles to the ball
Stays in control
Nice versatility especially in 3-4 defense
Vocal leader
Intelligent
Very young prospect (20 years old)
Doesn't take plays off
Outstanding instincts
Well versed in 3-4 defense

Weaknesses:
Unimpressive speed
Overpursues against run
Questionable 4-3 inside linebacker
Average sideline-sideline range
Good, but not an exceptional athlete
Could be exposed in man scheme
Doesn't have huge upside
A little uncomfortable in space

Summary: I really don't think McClain is a 4-3 inside linebacker. The speed and lateral range just isn't there for me, and I think he would be exposed because he will overpursue gaps. McClain is great for 3-4 teams because he can play inside, but also move over to the outside if needed temporarily. His best fits are at 3-4 inside linebacker and 4-3 strongside linebacker. McClain is a solid prospect who will likely come off the board in the top 20 picks.

Player Comparison: Bart Scott. Scott has great instincts and size, and is a leader at inside linebacker in the 3-4 defense.

and from Bleacher Report

With the eighth overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, the Oakland Raiders selected Rolando McClain from Alabama, and he has now been released (via ESPN).

While McClain has shown flashes of being the star he was in college, he has not validated being a top 10 draft pick. His best year was 2011 when he made 99 tackles and five sacks.

With a new regime in Oakland, McClain has seen his playing time diminished because he was too slow to be a sideline-to-sideline linebacker and he was coming off the field in the nickel defense.

Not only was McClain demoted in terms of playing time, but he also lost the "green sticker" helmet which is used to communicate with the sideline in the huddle. That sticker is referred to as being the quarterback of the defense; a role the middle linebacker should have.

Gone with McClain are his off-field issues back home in Alabama. He has gotten into legal trouble twice since being drafted in 2010. Most recently he posted on his Facebook that he was done in Oakland only to later delete the post. The Raiders won't miss the drama that comes with McClain.

It may be too early to give up on McClain. This was just his third NFL season. Not to mention that he has gone through a new defense every year in his Raider career from John Marshall to Chuck Bresnahan to Dennis Allen and Jason Tarver. How can we expect consistency from McClain when we don't even get consistency on the sideline?

Conclusion

I would hate to see McClain get picked up by another team only for him to turn out to be the star he was in college. Reggie McKenzie let go of Stanford Routt who went on to the Chiefs only to be cut by them in his first season with the team. Lets hope McKenzie got it right again by cutting McClain.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote