Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,717 Times in 1,783 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: "Why can't we be like the Pats...."

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
Ravens fan here. I hate this thread, because I know it's true. The NFL has become a watered-down arena league. Yeah I still watch. But it makes me sick to see all the drive-sustaining calls the offenses get these days. I think it is a result of a conscious decision by the NFL to bring in money by elevating idols like Manning and, worst of all, Brady. Defensive-oriented teams have tried to adjust but at the end of the day playing good old-school football doesn't get it done anymore.

I have no doubt that with 1970's rules and referees the last decade of football would have turned out very, very differently.
you're right - just the way civilization is going in general. People just aren't goin to accept the brutal effects in the nation's most popular sport. what's weird to me anyways, is that Boxing and UFC are far more violent - UFC is gaining in popularity, but isn't getting much attention in terms of zeroing in on the brutal hits, because it isn't mainstream.

Does anyone have an article or quote to show if concussions have actually gone down since the increase in discipline for head hits? My guess is that the number of concussions are the same, or only very slightly less. I just don't see, unless you eliminate sacking the QB or tackling altogether, concussions being limited that much.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote