View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #168
i82much
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11562
Default Re: "Why can't we be like the Pats...."

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
you're right - just the way civilization is going in general. People just aren't goin to accept the brutal effects in the nation's most popular sport. what's weird to me anyways, is that Boxing and UFC are far more violent - UFC is gaining in popularity, but isn't getting much attention in terms of zeroing in on the brutal hits, because it isn't mainstream.

Does anyone have an article or quote to show if concussions have actually gone down since the increase in discipline for head hits? My guess is that the number of concussions are the same, or only very slightly less. I just don't see, unless you eliminate sacking the QB or tackling altogether, concussions being limited that much.
I think concussions have actually increased as a result of the rules to help offenses. Think about 20 years ago - how did you play coverage? You blanket your man down the field, jostling for position on the ball.

Now, they throw a flag for the slightest bit of contact. So how do you play coverage? You see a lot more zone, and you see a lot more coverage playing "off" of the receiver so you don't get the flag. So instead, what do you do? You wait for the exact instant the ball gets there and nail the guy. Result? More touchdowns, more flags, and more concussions.
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote