Thread: 2011 Giants
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #1
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321
Default 2011 Giants

These comparisons are going to be coming up all week, and there are some valid similarities to point out.

The Giants were 7-7 last year, losers of 5 of 6 to fall there. The Steelers are 7-7, losers of 4 of 5.

Both teams have franchise QBs from the 2004 draft class.

Both teams have won recent Super Bowls.

That might be where they end, though. That Giants team had 48 sacks and forced 31 turnovers. The Steelers are on pace for 31 sacks and 15 turnovers. For comparison, other recent six seeds to go the distance, the 2005 Steelers had 47 sacks and 30 turnovers, the 2010 Packers had 47 sacks and 32 turnovers. The 2012 Steelers are a small play defense.

That Giants team was 5-3 on the road, the Steelers are 3-5.

Also, the path for the Giants to get to the Super Bowl included a home game against a dome team (Atlanta), an impressive road win at Green Bay, and lucky road win against an offensively challenged San Francisco. In that huge Green Bay win, the Giants sacked Rodgers four times and forced four turnovers. Do you see this Steeler defense pulling off a performance like that?

Barring an upset or two of a top seed, the Steelers road to a Super Bowl will have to go through New England, Denver, and Houston. I just can't see this popgun defense and scattershot, inconsistent offense being enough to pull off three huge upsets. I'd happily eat my share of crow if they did, but I just don't think this team is built for a huge playoff run.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote