MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,137 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: Connecticut school shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
True that

But people still die in auto accidents - that does not mean you eliminate equipping vehicles with air bags and seat belts
No, but you also don't ban cars and/or alcohol because of accidents or DUI's.

To me, it really is a culture thing. I'm glad Australia is seeing good results (in terms of mass killings...their crime rate overall has gone up since gun bans though, similar to UK).

These are people who were never as violent as Americans though, so of course it's going to work better there. The UK barely even needed gun regulations before they were implemented.

If you want good, solid, comparisons, look at our own cities. A lot of people use NYC as a talking point in how gun control has worked, but then you look at cities like Chicago, or LA, where gun laws are strict, but gun violence and crime in general is high. I truly believe that if criminals do not think that you have guns, it makes it easier for them to victimize you. And I know this is cliche, but there's a reason you never hear about mass shootings in, say, gun ranges. They are almost always in gun free zones.

My main focus is on increasing the responsible gun owner population. These are not toys or games that we're dealing with. It's fucking serious business, and it should be treated as such. I don't want a gun in the hands of someone irresponsible any more than you do....trust me on that.