Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,515 Times in 3,749 Posts
Default Re: Connecticut school shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
No, but you also don't ban cars and/or alcohol because of accidents or DUI's.

To me, it really is a culture thing. I'm glad Australia is seeing good results (in terms of mass killings...their crime rate overall has gone up since gun bans though, similar to UK).

These are people who were never as violent as Americans though, so of course it's going to work better there. The UK barely even needed gun regulations before they were implemented.

If you want good, solid, comparisons, look at our own cities. A lot of people use NYC as a talking point in how gun control has worked, but then you look at cities like Chicago, or LA, where gun laws are strict, but gun violence and crime in general is high. I truly believe that if criminals do not think that you have guns, it makes it easier for them to victimize you. And I know this is cliche, but there's a reason you never hear about mass shootings in, say, gun ranges. They are almost always in gun free zones.

My main focus is on increasing the responsible gun owner population. These are not toys or games that we're dealing with. It's fucking serious business, and it should be treated as such. I don't want a gun in the hands of someone irresponsible any more than you do....trust me on that.
But the shooter's mother was "high strung" but apparently what is defined as sane - no background check was going to keep the weapons she bought away from her nutcake son

It gets back to measuring the costs and benefits of regulating a product - if you need a 30 clip magazine to make target practice meaningful fine - you can buy it at the range and not take it offsite

If you want to go hunting go for it - but you do not need an AR-15 to do it

Urban dwellers such as myself have a blind spot with regard to gun enthusiasts (I joined FBI agents in my federal prosecutor days at the range but have not continued the practice) but red state America has made my previous enjoyment of marijuana a crime so it as not as if the Government has not banned what I regard as a net benefit to my personal well being.

As far as Americans being "culturally" more violent than Aussies? - really? As I said before, you cannot ignore the easy access to guns as part of that difference.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote