View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,955 Times in 4,549 Posts
Default Re: GREG COSELL: Haley & Big Ben

I have a couple problems with Haley's offense. I think what needs to be addressed first and foremost is the lack of gameplanning around Mike Wallace. Why is he running intermediate and underneath routes when he has the talent and speed to blow the top off a defense? The same could be said for Manny and AB - we should be running a vertical offense that gives Ben the chance to throw it down field more often. I'm not saying I'm completely against the 'dink and dunk' that he's implemented, but we have talented WRs and we're not using them properly. We've invested in our offensive line heavily the past few years to protect Roethlisberger and his offense often times feels like it's going overboard with keeping Ben safe. He isn't made of glass and he isn't going to change how he plays - let the receivers run and let Ben make things happen the way only Ben can.

The other major gripe I have about his offense is the lack of running outside the tackles. Look, when Rainey is on the field, he shouldn't be running it up the middle. Let him bounce it outside and make a play in open space instead of having to fight through linebackers and defensive linemen. I don't understand the big fad here in Pittsburgh of "run it up the middle! ya!" when that shit isn't working and hasn't for years.

Despite the weaknesses in his gameplan, it's still a step up from watching Arians call plays.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote